Wednesday, February 2, 2011

TRON: Legacy

This was better than I expected. The graphics had about the right mix of showing-off ("See how much BETTER computer graphics are now!"), homage to the original, and just plain cool. The digitally un-aged Jeff Bridges was pretty good, although you could sort of tell it wasn't natural. The 3D was pretty good, too, although I had to hold the glasses off the bridge of my nose to keep from getting a headache.

But the best surprise was that there was a halfway decent story. I had expected a minimally-plausible plot, just enough to serve as an excuse to make a graphics showcase. Well, it wasn't Shakespeare, but it was better than average. And at least few of the characters managed to make me care. Jeff Bridges' aged guru-ish Flynn was an interesting mix of hippy, conservative, funny, and regretful. In the end, the movie didn't make the common mistake of a lot of CG flicks -- neglecting the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment