Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Fish Called Wanda

Man, I forgot how funny this movie is!  A friend and I were talking about The King's Speech (which I enjoyed very much) and stuttering in general and I randomly had the urge to watch A Fish Called Wanda.  I hadn't seen it in years and figured I would appreciate it more as an adult.

God, was I right!  I watched it last night and enjoyed it so much more than I ever have before.  Everything about it works almost flawlessly.  The story isn't complex, but it's very layered, so it never runs out of steam.  The acting, though, is where the movie really shines.  Everyone on the screen gives great performances, which really breathes life into the script, and the comedy is brilliant because it stems chiefly from the performances and feels natural.  Michael Palin and Kevin Kline are especially hilarious, and Jamie Lee Curtis--who generally isn't (or wasn't, I suppose would be more accurate) heralded as a sex symbol--is beyond sexy.

The only complaint I have with Wanda is the score.  It's too generically 80's for my taste, which I loathe.  I realize it's a matter of taste, though, so I don't really hold it against the filmmakers.  It's a product of it's time.

Overall, I'm more than satisfied with A Fish Called Wanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment